Leadership - Are You Recognised As The Leader
Hello, I’m Peter Towers, Managing Director of ESS Small Business and ESS BIZTOOLS. Welcome to Empowering SMEs.
Good leadership is needed in every type of business, whether it’s a sole trader, partnership, trust or company, with a turnover of any level, or your entity is a not-for-profit, charity or sporting organisation.
Leadership is required irrespective of the type or size of the organisation. It doesn’t matter whether you have a Board of Advice, Board of Directors or Management Committee; leadership skills are still required. Where do you start in understanding leadership?
Firstly, distinguishing between management and leadership is very important.
They’re both different, but interdependent and must be closely related to be fully effective.
- Management is essentially about the establishment of organisations, structures, processes and procedures, including:
- management of costs
- implementation of ideas
- team training
- Leadership is about creating the environment in which people work willingly together to achieve commonly agreed ideas and goals.
Leadership skills are required in every segment of a business or organisation, not just at the board or management committee level, but at every level throughout the organisation.
Most people are not “born leaders” – most need to develop leadership skills by training and real-life experience.
The key components of developing your leadership skills are centred on an understanding of:
- teams and teamwork – an understanding of what is fundamental to good leadership
- coaching and counselling of members of the team
- solving problems in making decisions
- morale of the team to which the leader is responsible
- motivation of the team – developing ideas/strategies and “selling” these ideas and strategies to the team
- developing relationships – so that the leader has an understanding of the “challenges” that the team member is facing
- trust and delegation – leaders cannot do it all themselves – they have to inspire the team to go forth and implement – this is delegation.
All types of commercial businesses, not-for-profits, charities and sporting organisations are facing significant challenges relating to developments that are occurring in the marketplace including:
- digital disruption
- diversification of activities
- attraction and retention of outstanding team members
- media exposure that might not be welcome
Business leaders may have to grapple with the challenges of “supply chain management” and be aware of the potential challenges that could emerge to your business because a group of competitors have convinced a larger business that they have a better proposition than what you have been supplying.
Not-for-profits, charities and sporting organisations require strong leadership to ensure that the organisation’s key message is being conveyed to the public and is being understood by your targeted audience and the public at large. Issues of concern can include changes in government policies, new organisations emerging, behaviour of players, accidents occurring in some sports. These challenges require the leaders of these types of organisations to portray the right image to the public relative to their organisations.
In general, leadership skills are very important for all types of organisations, whether they are large or small businesses, not-for-profits, charities and sporting organisations.
ESS Small Business has a full leadership package and individual components of the package that have been developed by Peter McDougall AM, Managing Director of The Leadership Academy Pty Ltd. This package will guide you through the development of knowledge and an understanding of the leadership skills required by people in business and in not-for-profits, charities and sporting organisations.
A world-renowned leadership writer, Professor John Adair, said “It is easy to be appointed to a senior management position, but that appointment is not recognised until the manager has gained the respect and support of those being led”.
If you would like to attend a Free Preview Webinar on the Corporate Governance Network, please chose between the following two dates:
- Wednesday, 20th June 2018 at 12-noon AEST – to register click here; or
- Tuesday, 3rd July 2018 at 12-noon AEST – to register click here
If you have any questions on any aspects of the products and services being provided by ESS Small Business, please do not hesitate to send me an email – email@example.com or telephone me on 1800 232 088.
Do You Want More?
COMPLIMENTARY MATERIAL Click on the button below to access the following FREE material:
- Copy of this transcript
- Complimentary material
News, ideas and tips helping small business with strategies to survive and thrive in today's economy.
Episode 006 - Leadership - Are You Recognised As The Leader
If you wish to receive future editions in the Survival Hints for Small Business series, you can visit our iTunes – Podcasts - Survival Hints for Small Business page and subscribe to our podcasts. If you have any questions or suggestions on future items to be covered in Survival Hints for Small Business, please don’t hesitate to contact us.